He has trained with a number of other famous martial arts masters, most notably Skipper Mullins and Jhoon Rhee. He has also has earned black belts in Japanese Ju-Jitsu and Okinawan Kobudo. A prolific writer and well-respected teacher, he currently holds the tenth degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do (one of the few non-asians to hold such a high ranking).
Painting of Mr. Yates by Ed Parker, Jr., 2010
• Mr. Yates is Founder and president of the American Karate And Tae Kwon Do Organization
• Began the very first college "karate for credit" program in the Southwest in 1972 at Southern Methodist University (see photo gallery). Mr. Yates served as an adjunct professor at SMU for seven years in both the Physical Education and Communications Departments.
• He has been inducted into numerous Halls of Fame all over the world, including the Martial Arts History Museum in Burbank, CA, and the Texas Martial Arts HOF in Waco.
• He was in the first class of Nationally Certified Instructors of the American Council on Martial Arts (ACMA) in association with the Cooper Institute (see photo gallery).
• Mr. Yates is one of the world's most prolific writers on the martial arts. He has written almost 500 magazine articles and authored or co-authored sixteen books including: The Complete Book of Tae Kwon Do Forms (1984 edition and 2018 edition), Warrior Secrets: A Handbook of the Martial Arts, Just For Kicks: The Art of Fighting With Your Feet., Your Body: The Ultimate Lethal Weapon, Tae Kwon Do Basics, Tae Kwon Do for Kids, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tae Kwon Do, Christianity and the Martial Arts, Martial Arts ABCs, and Sensei Sayings (some are available on this website or at Amazon.com.) For many years he wrote columns in "inside Karate" and "Martial Arts Professional" magazines.
• He is a former managing editor of “Official Karate Magazine.”
• In 1991 he produced the documentary, "A History of Korean Karate in America," (you can see it on his YouTube channel). He is also filmed Sports Video’s series on on Winning Karate Tournaments and on One-Step Sparring Drills.
• His smartphone App (available on both Android and Apple) is fast becoming one of the most popular apps on Korean martial arts patterns.
• A popular speaker and seminar leader, he has been featured in articles in major martial arts publications and in Dallas newspaper articles. He's been profiled on the Dallas ABC and FOX News affiliates, featuring his work with children and in the area of Christian martial arts. He has been a guest on both cable TV and national radio talk shows.
• Mr. Yates did his Master's thesis at Dallas Theological Seminary on "The Demystification of Ki: The Spiritual Aspects of the Martial Arts." And Dr. Yates received his Humanities PhD in 2019.
• He serves as the Chairman of the Board of the Gospel Martial Arts Union (headquartered in Indianapolis). www.gmau.org
• He is also the High-Dan Board Chairman of the American Karate Black Belt Association Chin Sook Hage Kwan (one of the oldest martial arts organizations in the nation). www.akbba.com
• Dr. Yates is the Kwan Jang (founder and headmaster) of the Nam Seo Kwan (School of the Southwest) style of American Tae Kwon Do. Learn about Nam Seo Kwan here.